Founded in 1915, the Green Bay Art Colony is the oldest art organization in Green Bay. Nine women started an art appreciation club that met in their homes, but they soon realized that they also wanted a place to exhibit. The idea of establishing a museum was germinated and they invited six men to assist them. The first exhibit was in 1915. The dream was realized with the opening of the Neville Museum on July 23, 1927. A bronze plaque hangs at the Neville Public Museum in commemoration of this visionary group of women.
The first exhibit of paintings at the Neville Museum was in 1927. The Art Colony has since continued to exhibit regularly at the Neville Public Museum.
The Green Bay Art Colony is known not only for its numerous exhibits, but is also recognized for its contribution to the arts in the community. The group has brought many well-known artists to the area for lectures and demonstrations. The museum, library and local hospitals have been the
beneficiaries of financial gifts and artwork. Young artists have been the recipients of scholarships. The community is richer for a long commitment to the visual arts.
The Founders of the Green Bay Art Colony*
Miss Sophie Beaumont
Mrs. Jessie Hurlbut Buchanan
Mrs. E. H. Ellis
Mrs. Louise Ellsworth
Elsie B. Hall
Mrs. Jane Y. Joannes
Marion Gaylord Luckenbach
Miss Deborah Martin
Mrs. George H. Rice
*Formerly known as the Green Bay Art Club